Preschool is an excellent chance to growth in the atmosphere of school with teachers, other children and staff it helps in learning to share and care, understand and follow instructions. With the interaction with teacher and other kids on daily basis, it helps the children to build a trust with the emotional development and a bond for friends, elders, family and can help them gain social development. It also includes classes of pre-math and literacy to focus on meeting the requirements of a kindergarten.
But, on daily basis, what subjects are taught in a preschool have a slow but huge impact and influence on the academic and personal development of the child. Teachers at almost all preschools in Singapore use this practice of asking questions during all the activities and routines, not to get the right answer; but to allow the student to come out of that fear in answering questions, making an attempt, instilling the curiosity and active participation.
Subjects learned –
* The language and literacy subject focuses on basic understanding of literacy and using those skills to build slowly the reading fluency. This helps a child to understand the text, converse in the first and second languages, progressing towards achieving literacy skills for nursery as well as kindergarten.
* The main reason of incorporating math classes is to help students solving few problems, developing intuitive insights of the kid along with making a path for familiarity with the subject. Children are exposed to a lot of observation, activity, practical approach, discussions and explanations and find solutions for problems
* In order to give students a practical approach of handling a team, showing leadership qualities, understanding and caring right from the age of 3, the physical education sessions help them gain motor skills along with enjoying themselves at the play ground
* The computer classes help them gain a familiarity with computers, the technology used and its operation. Most of the reading and writing skills are taught on the computer to help gain hands on experience.
* The most creative way of teaching practice has come out when cooking classes are included in the curriculum. It focuses on math of measuring, estimating, dividing and number familiarity. Food is prepared in the classroom and then baking part is done at kitchen, finally the exciting part of eating takes place in class
* Craft and art classes make a way for the little humans to bring out the creativity in them. They get an exposure to widest range of crafting materials and techniques.
* Mandarin is also taught similar to English. In nursery kids are exposed to oral language with understanding and pronouncing sounds. Later in kindergarten the vocabulary extends and in the Kindergarten level 2 they write a story
* Once in a week each class gets a chance to participate and involve in music, drama and speech classes